Although Worcester has no zoning, development of housing, farming, and commercial projects need to meet State and local expectations which exist as permit requirements and regulation.  Here are just a few examples:

 The town of Worcester has no permitting requirements for the installation of roof mounted solar arrays, battery storage or heat pumps. However, the Town center does have a “Village Center Designation”. Vermont Land and Trust restrictions and two historic buildings overseen by the Worcester Historical Society, make large scale ground mounted solar arrays unacceptable in the Town center.

Worcester’s Flood Hazard Area Regulations do not allow new construction within the “Special Flood Hazard Areas”, “Fluvial Erosion Zones”, and “River Corridor” areas except by special permit and regulated by DEC Ch 29 VT Flood Hazard and River Corridor Rule.

Wastewater Systems and Potable Water Supplies:     Construction of homeowner or commercial water supply, new septic units and some reconstruction of existing septic units require a State permit .

A curb cut for driveway entrance to a town road requires a permit to be filled out by an applicant, reviewed and approved by the Road Commissioner, and finalized by the Selectboard. You may request an application from the Town Clerk or print from here.


Farms are required to follow State-mandated Required Agricultural Practice  (RAPs) Special crops, such as hemp, may require registration with the State.

The State of Vermont offers help understanding and connecting with requirements for your project.   You may contact the DEC Permit Specialist.

Because Worcester has no zoning, Act 250 regulation applies to development on parcels that exceed one acre in size.   Check the guidelines with the Natural Resource Board for general information about Act 250.   Check with the permit specialist (above) and District 5 Coordinator of the Natural Resource Board to see if and how to comply with Act 250.

Farming is generally exempt from Act 250 regulation but must meet “(RAPs) Required Agricultural Practice”. requirements as well as other health, safety, and environmental rules.  In some cases accessory activity on the farm may require permits as outlined in Act 143.   Vermont’s Agency of Agriculture’s provides connection to Act 250 for your questions.